10/21/2008

Noises in Marseille. First impressions.

One thing I can't put in pictures are the new sounds I'm getting used to. It's so different than the Pacific Northwest and the little town of Corvallis.

Let's start with the bells from Saint Victor, a church a couple of blocks from the appartment. I'll tell you more about this church in another post. On every quarter of the hour, I hear this charming sound reminding me of my childhood. In every town or village, church bells ring at least on the hour as many times as the time of the day. Pleasant way to keep track of time. I had lost this sound in the US and it's nice to have it back!

Then not as pleasant but constant in any street of Marseille: the honking. Quite primitive and completely inefficient in my mind, the Marseillais (people of Marseille) seem to favor it to communicate their frustration while driving. The town is always jammed. You would think that they would get used to it. They are really impatient in their cars. It's crazy! Oh but wait, maybe it's just a way to let out their emotions whatever the frustration might be. Often times there is absolutely not apparent reason to honk and yet they do. What is the point to honk in a traffic jam? It's not going to make the guy ahead of them move any faster. As you can tell I could go on about it. I've considered starting honking while I'm riding just to show everyone how well I can adjust to this town... (not).

Given that Marseille is the second largest city in France, cops sirens are common, still a big change for me. Then there is the occasional tram's ding ding and the tourist little train with the recorded voice in english going off about the history of Marseille.
The Old Port has its own boat noises like any harbor would. And the seagawls come and land in front of our balcony. They are mostly quiet and seem to spy on us but every once in a while they let out a scream. Why don't they sing pretty like any other birds?

I'm forgetting the screaming baby as well next door where we live. The mother seem to have an approach which, as a neighbor who hasn't lived in an appartment building since college, completely disapprove.

The Marseillais don't just honk, they also like to talk loud and argue in the streets or the shops.
My first day here, I ran to the pastry shop and the baker and his wife were arguing. They glared at me as I walked in their little store, ignored me and continued arguing. They seemed to be extremely upset. Within 20 seconds, I realized the reason of the argument was completely futile. I got served but only once they reached some sort of agreement. The people of Marseille seem to be passionate about every thing, every little thing. They get fired up for... not much in the end.

They have a lovely singing accent and now that I'm passed the initial shock, I rather enjoy the passionate debates in the streets. What I thought at first were arguments are discussions/debates exchanged just a few decibels higher than what I've been used to.

No comments: